Saturday 2 March 2013

I think I'll have a go at sanpro

I bought some SanPro from http://www.luxurymoon.co.uk/ last week, and have had a try of them.

I bought (without showing you the exact pattern, because that's just weird)

http://luxurymoon.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_185_77&products_id=895

and
http://luxurymoon.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_186_238&products_id=1451




So far, I like the first ones because a they have a waterproof back (makes you feel a bit more secure), and because they feel heavy duty. They feel sturdier, so I don't feel like I have to be dainty with them when I fasten or unfasten the snaps.
The second type feel better on - the shape of the pad is right for the inside of the legs. They're a bit less bulky, too, but the backing, where the snaps are, is fleece, and it feels like it's being pulled about (and worrying it might rip!) when I fasten the snaps - meaning I'm taking care when pulling them open. And the top layer is cotton, and I'm not sure it's going to clean properly every time (cotton stains more than man-made fabrics)

So both types are good for different reasons - I'd say for fit, I prefer the second one.

So, I thought about making my own.
I bought a kit form the same website:
http://luxurymoon.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_241&products_id=1508

I love the fabric, and the fact that you get loads of it - you can make 11 pads from the fabric provided, using the pattern they provide.
The problem being that I don't like the pattern.

It was incredibly easy to do (and they provide the thread too, so all you need to provide is snaps or velcro to fasten).
I love the fabric provided - the bamboo velour is funky, the middle absorbant layer is inspired, and the fleece or the backing is great too.
I just don't like the pattern. I thought it seemed too narrow - you get 3 pieces to cut out, a big bit (that looks like the top towel on this page) which you cut with fleece for wrapping round your gusset, a medium bit which is the top layer, and a small bit which is the absorbent layer.

So this is what it looks like when it's finished.
I don't like the massive piece of fleece all the way round the edge of the fabric layer - it looks odd.
(I've still got to add snaps - which I'll have to add an extra piece of fabric for strength behind)

My idea was for it to look more like the blue one up there, so I cut out a couple more pattern pieces using this as an idea template.


I cut the black piece bigger and wider (more like the shape of the flowery one up there), and the coloured piece, I cut to match the size of the black, and the shape of the blue-one-above.
I kept the absorbent layer the same.
I tried to overlock around the pink pad, but I couldn't get it to start properly (because I'd sewn with zig-zag the main bit, then put it on the backing to overlock, and it didn't work, because I was to overlock by starting in a corner)
I saw something on Google where they're overlocked all the way round the backing as well, which would have made more sense.
(I was also sewing it very close to the end of the day, and I really didn't have time to keep rethreading the overlocker when I messed it up)
So, in the end, just because of time constraints, I zig-zagged all the way round the pink.
It means that it looks all loose and fraying, and also is a bit stretched and pulled around (because I didn't have the option of 4 thread tension like with the overlocker)


I've just found this one by Google
http://tipnut.com/free-pattern-for-washable-feminine-menstrual-pads/

I won't use this pattern or tutorial, because it involves bagging out and cutting fabric (for some unknown reason!!), but I like the shape of the pad, and the general premise, so I might grab hold of my overlocker and give something a go.




With my original pattern, you sew thew absrobant pad straight onto the backing fabric, then sew the top layer over that.
I think I might make a pad as if a stand-alond pad (so it can be overlocked all the way round) and then topstitch it onto the backing.
(and perhaps edge the fleece if that's the backing I use...)

edit: 4/3/13
i found this site with a picture of a towel i like the shape of:
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gynaecology/115982-cloth-sanitary-napkin.html


No comments:

Post a Comment